This Recipe was submitted by a regular Fair Game customer, Ingrid Engelbrecht. It appears in Neil Stemmet’s recipe book “Sout en Peper”.
“Vat jou rib, en ‘n jammerlappie, en gaan sit eenkant onder ‘n boom. Gooi vir jou ‘n glas steenwyn, seen die skaap en sy lewe, ook jou hande, en eet die eet van ‘n bidsprinkaan in stilte.”
- Mortar & Pestle
- 1 Rack Mutton Ribs The fattier, the better
- Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Course Sea Salt
- White Pepper Corns
- If cooking in the oven, pre-heat the oven to 140 degrees Celsius
- In a mortar and pestle crush the Coriander, Salt and Pepper nice and fine
- Take the aromatic spices and rub them thoroughly all over the rib.
- Put the ribs onto an oven rack placed over an oven dish and bake it at 140°C for at least 3 hours (the fat must be golden brown and crispy, and the meat so soft you can break it apart with your finger).
- If you braai the rib, place it into a folding braai grid, and roast the rib gently at a 45° angle next to the fire for as long as you can hold out! This can take up to three hours. The fat must be crispy and golden brown, and the meat must tend towards biltong.
gooi vir jou ‘n glas steenwyn, seen die skaap en sy lewe, ook jou hande,
en eet die eet van ‘n bidsprinkaan in stilte”